Monday, February 4, 2013

A New Year and A New Beginning

Last month I participated in a 21-day fast at our church.  My husband and I chose to do The Daniel Fast.  My husband, the man of iron will, decided to fast breakfast and lunch and only eat dinner.  I on the other hand, decided to fast caffeine, sweets, social media and tried to stick as close to the requirements of The Daniel Fast as I could reasonably attain.  This year it was MUCH easier to do The Daniel Fast when I allowed myself some leeway.  I didn't stress over our meals as much as I did last year, and in turn was able to clearly focus on praying and seeking The Lord as I should.

Cut to today, 9 days post fast, and I have received more little promptings in my life today than I did during the entire time of fasting.  Nothing major, but little tweaks I can make here and there.  One of those things being this blog.  I have had this blog for a couple of years now and have posted maybe 15 times. :) Typical me.  I've kept the blog around though because it is something I enjoy doing.  I believe that desire is there for a reason, and today more than ever, I have really felt led to press into my blogging.  It's all new to me though.  I can't promise that I will post every day or even every week, but I can promise that you will see more thoughts from me.

Another change I have felt led to make is to cut down on my use of social media.  I was without social media for 21 days and it was SO good.  It's not something I enjoy.  I care about all of you, truly, but I don't care what you're doing every second of the day.  I just don't.  I check Facebook merely out of habit, and it's time better spent elsewhere.  So, from now on, if you need to reach me -- call me, text me, e-mail me, tweet me (yes, I will continue to keep up with Twitter).

I've thought a lot about all of the things I would like to change about myself.  Work out more, devote more time to reading and doing things that are beneficial, tweak the way I eat, etc.  This is something that every woman does.  We are constantly analyzing ourselves, trying to figure ways to be our best me.  Recently I had the thought "At what point am I going to stop griping about the things I dislike about myself and just change?"  And to date, I'm happy to report that I've done so.  I convinced my husband to join our local gym.  I've told myself for years that I can just work out at home, but truth is, I have 3 kids.  Someone always wants something.  I never get more than 10 minutes to myself without someone needing me in some way.  Which don't get me wrong... I LOVE, but it just is not the ideal environment for exercise.  So in order to feel happier in my skin, I will have to get away for that 45 minute period.  I'm not a work-out addict, I'm allowing myself some grace as I begin this lifestyle change.  I have not gone to the gym everyday, I have eaten sweets more than I would like to admit, but I see the err in my ways and jump back on the boat.  No condemnation, no frustration.  Boom!

Chris and I have decided that we want 2013 to be the best year of our lives.  I can truly say this year is starting out right on course.  I'm more comfortable with myself than I ever have been.  I've spent years trying to alter who I am to be what I think people will find more acceptable, but it's exhausting -- and I'm over it.  I have some extremely talented friends, those with a sparkling creative ability, and in the past I've felt like I was lacking because I wasn't as driven in the same things they were.  Truth is, I have just had to focus on finding my identity in Christ.  Who has God created me to be, what strengths has He placed inside of me, in what ways can I use those strengths?  So, we're back to the blog.  My hope for this blog is that it will be a source of encouragement for you.  My posts won't always be this wordy.  I will share those things that interest me here and there (recipes, parenting tips, fashion faves, etc.), but I just want to have a space to share myself with others.  I hope that you will feel comfortable commenting on posts with your own thoughts.

So, that's me.  What about you??  Hope to hear from you in the comments below! 

1 comment: