Monday, August 31, 2009

Chapter 3 "Lord, Help Me to Be a Forgiving Person"

"When we choose not to forgive, we end up walking in the dark (1 John 2:9-11). Because we can't see clearly, we stumble around in confusion. This throws our judgment off and we make mistakes. We become weak, sick and bitter. Other people notice all this because unforgiveness shows in the face, words and actions of those who have it. They see it, even if they can't specifically identify what it is, and they don't feel comfortable around it."

"Just because we confess our unforgiveness toward someone one day doesn't mean we won't have unforgiveness in us the next. That's why forgiveness is a choice we must make everyday. We choose to forgive whether we feel like it or not."

This actually makes sense to me. I worked for this guy one time.... he wasn't a happy person. He was greedy and would say very hurtful things to your face and behind your back. Once I left his business I was SO relieved. I've noticed though, despite the many times I have genuinely chosen to forgive him days, weeks and months later I still have to choose to forgive him. I've actually wondered several times why I keep going through this.

"When we entertain unforgiving thoughts, they turn to hate inside of us." This is exactly why I keep having to forgive him! I haven't kept control of my mind. Instead I've gone with the ongoing movie of the many times he was hurtful to me. I've fumed over it over and over and over. The more I dwell on particular instance the harder it gets for me to choose to forgive and the easier option is to hate, which would make me a murderer (I John 3:15).

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ."

So, tomorrow I may begin to consider how hurtful that guy was, but then I will choose not to consider and take my thoughts captive. IF the longer I think on hurtful things causes it to become harder for me to choose to forgive, it's probably best that I take those thoughts captive and not consider them.

Romans 8:6 ".. the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace."

Last quote: "When we forgive someone, it doesn't make them right or justify what they have done. It releases them into God's hands so He can deal with them."

No comments:

Post a Comment